The fortified medieval town of Golubac was constructed on an inaccessible rock by the Danube at the spot where the river bed becomes rather narrow and where it was possible to monitor the entire traffic on the river and across it. The fortification was protected by the Danube from one side and by the rock massif on the other sides. Golubački grad has very important place among the monuments of medieval military architecture. It was constructed in 1335 as the border town and strategically important fort. The fortification has all the features of the fortification system suitable for the side-arms combat althought it underwent significant modification when artillery came into use.the ground plan of Golubac is irregular, completely in accordance with the configuration of the terrain. There were nine towers 20 to 25 meters high, five of them belonging to the earlier ant four to the later building phase. The towers were connected by the city walls. The towers were, mainly, of square plan with timber constructed storeys.
The historic data about the Golubački grad are rather meagre. It was suppostedly constructed by Hungarians probably in the second half of the 13th century as a fortification which protected their theritories on the right Danube bank. The oldest written sources mention the year 1337 and Serbian/Hungarian wars. The fort was possessed by Hungarians, while surrounding villages were inhabited by the Serb population. The defeat of the Serbian army at Kossovo in 1389 enabled Turks to take possession of Golubac. In the following years, up to 1392, Hungarians besiegned the fort many times but without success. Soon after the Angora battle in 1402 the Turkish influence in this area weakened for some time and Golubac was under Serbian control during the rule of Stefan Lazarević. Golubac had a turbulent history: it was in possession of the Hungarians, and than Turks till 1868. Research and conservation works started in 1969 and fcompleted in 1987.